Monday, May 14, 2012

Our first Las Cruces Farmer's & Crafter's Market


Wow, what a whirlwind! Now that I'm looking at the photos I'm realizing just how amazing this Saturday was. We were welcomed into the market with open arms. Within 2 1/2 hours we had sold out of the 60 loaves we brought. As much as we wanted to bring more, the oven is still not ready to bake off more. I had to be very, very respectful as the oven is still "scorchy", so it's easy to end up with charred bottoms and anemic crusts if I wasn't careful. With each firing and bake, the heat will penetrate the cladding deeper and deeper making each bake better and better. It's during this time that I really get to know the BakeHouse oven! It reveals it's personality slowly, which gives me time to learn.

The bake is done.
As I was putting the last loaves into the oven, I kept thinking of that line from the first Indiana Jones movie when Karen Allen's character is alone in a dark tomb with the torch yelling "Indie the flame is going ouuuttttttt"! Whew was I grateful when I finished.


My mom, Jolan and me ready to sell bread!
Last night Tom and I had to empty out the BakeHouse building so that it could be insulated today. We chose to go with spray foam insulation to get the best R value for the walk in unit. At first only the walk in unit was going to be done, but the Contractor hired for the job felt it would be more cost effective to do the whole building since it wasn't very large. I'm so glad that we won't have to deal with the Fiberglass Insulation! I've decided that the BakeHouse building that Tom has built is a better building than our actual house!

The pieces are a bit like styrofoam peanuts if the wind catches them!
No firing the oven today!
We're now planning for Wednesday's market. The foot traffic won't be nearly as heavy as Saturday, but we did received prepaid orders for Wednesday, which is what we were hoping would happen. So there you have it - it's so exciting to share it with all of you! Thank you for all the wonderful emails and Facebook posts we've received - they are awesome! I'll look forward to our next post and keeping you up to date with The Adventure of the BakeHouse! Thoughtfully, Kath

1 comment: