Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 7

It started out to be an East Coast Winter sort of week. We thought that Sunday's snow event was it and then Monday arrived. The morning started out sunny and dry, but as the afternoon progressed, so did the snow fall. I guess this is to keep us humble. Las Cruces was basically shut down on Tuesday as many of you might have seen on The Weather Channel. We've become softies.

Our patio set. You can get a tiny glimpse of the cement block way in the  back.
 Fortunately, the sun came out for the rest of the week and dried things up so that Tom could start laying block on Saturday. When the temperature in our backyard reached 55°, the memory of Tuesday had already melted away.


The Man Eater. This saw has been with us for almost 30 years!
It's like a trustworthy friend.
The corners of the oven are established.
Setting block.
The day's end. Tom wanted to get more done,
but the sun was setting fast.

We had to cover the block to protect it from
FROST!
We added the tarp for extra protection.

Bradley thought the tarp was a game.
He's just too cute for his own good

Tomorrow will be a very exciting day. Tom will be making the long trip to Phoenix, AZ for the company he works for. His boss has kindly allowed Tom to also use the time to pick up the Calcium Lumnite and also our Firebrick. We found it amazing how difficult is was to get these two items here in New Mexico. Fortunately we didn't have to go all the way to California!

We'll continue to keep you posted of our progress and thanks for stopping by - Kath 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,

    I was wondering if you had a chance to find out what type of fire bricks you will be using? Are they a medium duty with the alumina content around 35-37%? And would you be willing to share what the the cost was? In California, that type of brick is over $3.00 per brick. I would be willing to drive to AZ if the price is right! :)

    I am enjoying your blog and following your build, it is getting me really excited to get ours going!

    Thanks again for your time!
    Ned

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it took me so long to respond. To be honest, I don't know what the alumina content is of the bricks I bought. I was told they're a medium quality brick able to withstand the temps that we would be dealing with. This particular brick yard had 3 to choose from, and I purchased the cheapest at $1.60. The middle one was $2.50, and the most expensive was $4.00. Since I purchased 400 of them, I got them for $1.40.

    The first oven I built for Kathy was in 2006. I purchased the only firebrick that this yard had. Using the advice of Alan Scott to look for a brick that was hard and dense, and of good quality, I purchased 350 of them for $0.99. The oven was in service for 3 years, being fired 3 times a week. Not one brick cracked or spalted. I don't know what the alumina content was, except that it was of medium duty.

    I don't know if any of this is helpful. Let me know if you have anymore questions. I learned a lot from building the first oven. (I have lots of pictures) I'd be glad to help out if I can.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tom! In California for a medium quality brick it is over $3.00 per brick. Would it be possible to get the name of the brick yard in AZ that you are buying from? It might be worth it for me to drive out there. Thanks for your offer! Once I get started I may very well as for some insight.

    I do know that I am going the foamglas route for the underside of the hearth.

    Thanks again for your time!

    Ned

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an easy name to remember; Phoenix Brick. It's a block off Interstate 17. I talked to Yolanda Croley. She seemed to know what she was talking about. Address is 1814 S. Seventh Ave., Phoenix. (602) 258-0444. Website is phxbrickyard.com

    I

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!!!! Have a great holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete