Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A day of test baking . . . the humble Bialy.


"When I was an adolescent in Auschwitz lying on the hard shelf that was my bed and hallucinating from hunger, I would often try to recall the shape and savory aroma of the kuchen we used to eat at home in Bialystok."    Samuel Pisar - Holocaust survivor

Today I had a date with bread history. With each of the breads I've baked, the process of test baking is like attending a History Class. I find myself eager to learn about the bread through the process of making it. Such was the journey today with the humble Bialy. Bialystok, a town in Poland, which is believed to be the birthplace of the Bialy.

Because of my passion for baking with sourdough, I converted the simple Bialy formula, that uses commercial yeast, to a formula that would use sourdough for leavening. I'm very, very pleased with the result. As they came out of the oven, I felt like a little girl on Christmas morning, walking into the living room, before anyone woke up, and seeing the lit Christmas tree with all the wrapped gifts underneath! It was magical to see these old world treasures come out of the oven and smell the wonderful aroma of caramelized onion! Here's my journey with the Bialy - Enjoy!

All ingredients into the mixer and mixed for 10 minutes on slow speed.



The dough temperature was a bit higher than I wanted.
But the small amount of dough cooled quickly to the desired
76° once I placed the dough bucket in a cool room.
The dough came together nicely. It was firm, but not overly stiff after the 10 minutes of mixing. It then went into a dough bucket to ferment for 2 hours. I stretched the dough after the first hour of fermenting.


I was excited to see wonderful fermentation from the sourdough
showing up after the first hour of fermenting.
Once the two hours of fermentation was done, I then scaled the dough into 12 - 3oz balls and prepared them for another hour of fermentation. The dough at this point was filled with life. It's one of the experiences as the baker of sourdough bread that I enjoy, the feel of the living dough.



I placed the dough balls onto parchment sprayed with non-stick spray.
I then covered the pan with a flour sack towel and then
put the whole tray into a plastic bag.

After the two hours of fermentation was complete, the dough balls were ready to be made into the unique form of the Bialy. Basically, forming them is like making mini pizzas!



The dough was extremely pliable but strong.
The trick was to make sure the middle was pressed down so that it was paper thin.
This would assure that as the Bialy baked, it would not pop up in the
middle and push out the onion mixture.
I used a fresh, big, juicy yellow onion from the Mesilla Valley.
I minced the onion very fine and then added some plain
breadcrumbs to the onions. 

The Bialys baked for 15 minutes. It was hard to wait for them to cool enough before taking a bite!

The aroma in the kitchen reminded me of being in New York City
and walking by a Bagel and Bialy shop.
So it's just like we say "a little taste of Brooklyn in the Land of Enchantment"!

I was so pleased with the flavor. And the crumb was nice and light.
I felt as though the first test bake was a success.
 Tomorrow I will test bake the Bialys again and then bake them in the wood fired oven! I'm already looking forward to tomorrows breakfast - a hot bialy with butter!

I will be sure to post the results! Stay tuned - Kath

2 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    The Bialy look wonderful! Yum! I really enjoy the history lessons behind the bread you bake. Its like traveling to another part of the world and connecting with people and cultures through the delicious medium of food. Thanks for the trip to Poland today. I'm working with a gentleman who spent part of his childhood during WWII in what used to be old Prussia there. Will be getting some of the Bialy to take to him.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karen this is wonderful - I'll let you know when they are in real production - I'd love to include him in our next test bake - should I call you ahead of time? I would like it to be my gift :) Thanks for sharing. Kath

      Delete